Saturday, September 11, 2010

you've got a friend in me.

“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend.”

- Thoreau


When I first looked at this quote, it was seemingly obvious and simple. As I thought about it more and more, it couldn't be more true and in reality, hard to follow. I've learned through experience recently of how true this can be and hard it can be for some people to follow it. Friendships can get complicated and confusing depending on what's going on, but when it comes down to it, it is as simple as this quote. Just be a friend. Being a friend involves putting the other before yourself, caring for the other, and being thoughtful of the other's emotions and opinions. Nobody said being a friend was easy, but to have friends, you need to be one. It is well worth it in the long run to be the best friend that you can be, even if it means making sacrifices for that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment