Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"i'd rather live my life believing god exists and die finding out he doesn't than live as if he doesn't and find out he does."

Last week, I went on a three day silent retreat.  It was an awesome opportunity to just sit back and relax for three days as we basically had all day to do what we wanted. I spent the three days reading three spiritual books, journaling, meditating, and napping. I learned a lot about myself and about how I want my relationship with God and with others to be. Here's an excerpt from a journal entry I wrote that describes what I've learned and how I think everyone should live:


I learned to let go and reflect on my relationships with others and to thank God for giving me such an amazing family.  I was reminded that although my family has gone through some difficult times, we all still have a lot of love for one another which is very special.  I also challenged my faith and what it really means to fully love and be devoted to God.  I remembered the phrase "God is love" and realized that we show our love for God through our love for others and for ourselves.  In the book, "Crazy Love", it says that "God meausres our life by how we love".  We are called to think of everyone we meet as being in the likeness of God and to treat them how we'd treat God.  I am going to try to live this out by being patient with my family, kind and understanding to my friends, and open and loving to new people.  I am going to strive to maintain my healthy relationships and strengthen the ones that may be weakening.  I want to die being remembered for my love for others and hopefully making their lives better.

1 comment:

  1. Amen and very well said not to mention a beauty--full web page
    Facebook...Mark Quire

    ReplyDelete