Friday, April 22, 2011

so make the best of this test and don't ask why.









As Senior Year is winding down to a close, I've been thinking about how much I've changed throughout the years.  I'm happy to realize that I've matured and learned so much through all the experiences of high school, good and bad.  I've learned the importance of having friends you can trust and rely on no matter what.  Quantity shouldn't be considered- the quality of them is the only thing that matters. I've learned not to be caught up in what I'm doing and if it's "cool" enough or if I'm going to seem like a loser not being somewhere else. I now enjoy whatever I'm doing, even if it's just sitting at home with a couple friends watching a movie. We aren't going to look back at high school and remember specific nights when we were caught up in what we were doing trying to be cool or fit in; we're going to remember the times where we felt most comfortable with our friends and are having a great time just being ourselves. That being said, through various retreats and other school functions I've participated in, I've realized how many people I've missed out on getting to know. My goal for the rest of the year is to be fully open to new people, even though mostly everyone has their set groups of friends. I don't want to graduate high school regretting just hanging out with the same small group of people each weekend and not getting to know equally as amazing people. I want to graduate feeling like I could be myself with everyone and that I've opened myself up to as many people as possible. I challenge everyone else to do the same, even if they aren't graduating any time soon. It's important to keep your trustworthy and loyal relationships strong, but why can't you have some weekends where you hang out with totally different people? Who knows, one could end up being your best friend that you've missed out knowing before. Also, you learn more than you'd think about yourself getting out of your comfort zone and exploring what and who's out there in the world. So get out there- explore.

4 comments: