Wednesday, June 16, 2010

don't stop believing.

Through the experiences in my life, I have realized that hope and faith are very vital in life. Without hope and faith, it would be impossible to get through the many ups and downs.

I do not know where I would be right now if I did not have hope and faith to help me deal with my dad's sickness and just life in general. Religion and God have become a lot more important to me this year. Through many amazing experiences, such as Kairos and a service trip to Lourdes, France, I have gotten a lot closer to God and realized that everything happens for a reason.

I am confident that God has a plan for everyone, and that he does not make us go through anything we cannot handle. I know that I have become a much better person because of the bad times my family has had. God will take care of all of us. Everyone must have hope and faith in Him that everything will work out and we will get through it.

It's easy to think about how my dad will die someday from this cancer and that we may have limited time with him. It's much harder to remember to just live in the moment and take every second I am with him as an important time and to just live it to the absolute fullest. Because my dad has short term memory loss, he forgets arguments I have with him, or times when I am in a bad mood. Thinking about what he does remember keeps me in check of what is actually important in life. And that little arguments or bad moods are taking away from the memorable, loving moments I can have with him.

I have hope and faith that God will take care of my dad and my family. I'm not saying I won't be devastated when my dad gets sick again, but I am going to try my hardest to just live in the moment and not think about what is coming. I encourage everyone to do that, even if a particular sickness or tragedy is not on your mind at all. Everyone should live it up because life is short. Seize the day. Don't have any regrets. Just live your life.


Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Claire, you're awesome and so strong! You should be so proud of yourself. & PS, that is my fav prayer ever.

    ReplyDelete